Yowza! This is some chickpea awesomeness. It’s spicy, filling, and so good. I may have added more spices than needed (or more jalapenos I’m thinking) but even if you tone down, the flavor would still be great. I used this recipe.
- 1 T. butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 T. ground coriander
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t. ground turmeric
- 1 chopped roma tomato
- 1/2 C. water
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (I used dried, cooked, and then frozen chickpeas which was nice.)
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. garam masala
- 1/2 t. salt
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 t. ginger, grated
1. Toss the butter in a skillet set over medium heat. When melted, add the onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric. Stir until combined and cook for 30 seconds or so, or until it is very fragrant.
3. Stir in the tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Dump in the chickpeas and the pour in the water. Stir until combined, and then bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the paprika, garam masala, salt, and lemon juice. Cover and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle in the ginger and jalapeno. Cook for another 30 seconds. Season with salt if needed.”
Notes: Great vegetarian meal!
Servings: 2 dinner servings