Easiest, most delicious and healthy sandwich EVER. Thank you Smitten Kitchen! I knew I’d like this recipe when I first saw it, but it was even better when we finally made it. Simple! Fast! Delicious! You should make this.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 2 T. pitted, halved and very thinly sliced black olives (Um, I used green!)
- 1 T. finely chopped red onion
- 1 T. chopped fresh parsley
- Zest and juice from half a lemon
- Couple good pinches of salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- A few glugs of olive oil (Smitten Kitchen said “the original is quite oily, like bread-soaking oily, I went a little lighter. Both ways are delicious.” I went the less bread-soaking oily route.)
“Mix everything but the olive oil in a small to midsize bowl. Very lightly smash the chickpea mixture with the back of a fork or a potato masher. You’re not looking for a hummus-like puree but something closer to a coarse chop with a few smaller bits to hold it together. Add the glugs of olive oil, mix it lightly and enjoy.”
Notes: I toasted some sesame seed bread and ate this as an open faced sandwich, nothing else on it. The original recipe mentioned how you could doll it up with roasted red peppers and a tahini spread, but this was flavorful enough for me!
Servings: 4 big open faced sandwiches